Principal Designer Services
What is a Principal Designer?
A Principal Designer is an organisation or an individual appointed by the client to take control of the pre-construction phase of any project involving more than one contractor. Principal Designer Services are offered by Eryri Consulting Limited.
The Principal Designer’s role is in influencing how risks to health and safety are managed throughout a project. Design decisions made during the pre-construction phase can significantly influence if project is delivered in a way that secures the health and safety of everyone that the work affects.
What is the role of Principal Designer?
In the pre-construction phase the Principal Designer will plan, manage, monitor and co-ordinate all aspects of health & safety of the project. They will review and take into account relevant information and existing documents (such as a H&S file, asbestos surveys etc) that may influence the design work before and the construction phase starts.
The Principal Designer will play a critical role, helping and advising the client and providing essential information to both designers and contractors so they can carry out their duties effectively and legally.
The Principal Designer will work closely with other project designers (Structural Engineers, M&E Engineers etc) to help eliminate or reduce the likelihood of health and safety risks on the project.
The Principal Designer will work with everyone involved in the pre-construction phase to ensure communication and cooperation, coordinating work and activity as required.
What is included in the service?
Eryri Consulting Limited can undertake all of the Principal Designer’s Duties as an independent professional CDM adviser.
- Preparing the Pre-Design Information Pack (PDI) – Something Eryri Consulting Limited have developed to assist designers in understanding their duties
- Preparing the Pre-Construction Information pack (PCI) – Collating information from surveys, service drawings and designer risk management information from all parties
- Reviewing designs for suitability and consideration for health and safety (Have the designers considered the “General Principles of Prevention”?)
- Attend pre-contract meetings / Design Team Meetings (if required)
- Notification to HSE (This is a Client Duty for Commercial Clients)
- Reviewing Principal Contractor’s Construction Phase Plans
- If required, carry out site inspections to ensure compliance
- Preparation of the Health & Safety File to be handed over to the client *
Note * If the Principal Designer role is terminated before the end of the project, the health and safety file will be passed on to the Principal Contractor to complete the file.
Get in touch with us to discuss your Principal Designer Requirements: Contact Us